Swallowing Ability Screening Assessment EAT-10
By using EAT-10, which is a simple 10-question assessment, each given a score ranging from 0-4, respondents can identify whether they may have dysphagia and assess its psychological and social effects in the simplest possible way.
Do you have the following problems? Score per question: None 0 – 1 – 2 –3 – 4 Severe
1. Swallowing problems causing me to lose weight
2. Swallowing problems affecting my dining out
3. Requires more effort to swallow liquids
4. It takes some effort to swallow solids
5. It takes more effort to swallow pills
6. Pain when swallowing
7. Swallowing problems affecting my enjoyment of eating
8. Food sticking to the throat when swallowing
9. I cough when I eat
10. I feel stressed about swallowing
If the total score is 3 or above, it means there may be a problem with swallowing. It is recommended to consult a speech therapist or doctor.
Belafsky, P.C., Mouadeb, D.A., Rees, C.J., Pryor, J.C., Postma, G.N., Allen, J. and Leonard, R.J., 2008. Validity and reliability of the Eating Assessment Tool (EAT-10). Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 117(12), pp.919-924.